Monday, December 20, 2010

Review Bruce Lee My Brother



Bruce Lee My Brothers First is the first film in a three-part biopic about martial arts king Bruce Lee. The films are being made in cooperation with the family of Hong Kong’s most famous native son, who died 37 years ago. The film is starring Aarif Rahman as Bruce Lee.


My Review I watched this movie without reading any reviews and I have not seen any of the movies or TV series made about Bruce Lee. I trust this movie because it's based on the book written by his own brother who is still living and judged from the title, I thought I will get to see his whole life story; and curious how they will show his last 4 movies that made him a superstar and legend. More curious is who will play Lo Wei, Raymond Chow, Nora Miow, Linda and Ting Pei ? Will his rejection to Shaw Brothers' offer be shown ? I must admit I am quite disappointed that I will not get to see them but instead it's mainly focused on his family background, upbringing, his childhood movie days, friends, some romance and finally the 3 major events that brought the movie to a satisfying end; a dance competition, a boxing competition and a climatic event that caused him to leave HK to the States at around the age of 19. Overall I am happy with the movie although there is no big names in the cast but a lot of actors and actresses characters from HK black and white movies of the 50s are shown, obviously to please the elderly fans. It's a pity they did not show the role of Pak Yin, HK's most popular actress of that time who acted and danced with Bruce in his last movie before he leaves HK in "The Orphan". They only showed he was offered that movie. You will enjoy it better if you are familiar with those 50s HK celebrities. They tried to cast them as close as possible to the original people in look and behaviour; that's why at times we find these acting a little poor or weird, with the exception of the actor playing Bruce. I think we will not get a better one. We don't know if the last event that caused his father to send him away is true or not but as a movie, it's simply good although not perfect. If this movie do well in the box office(I think it will), I am sure the producers will make at least 2 sequels; "Bruce Lee in U.S." and "Bruce Lee, the superstar" which will certainly be more interesting to watch than his childhood days. I look forward to them. So Bruce Lee fans, just go and watch it. I am sure you wish to know about his earlier life